LiftWerx is a specialized wind energy contractor which performs large corrective repairs using crane-less technology. LiftWerx offers both specialized equipment and experienced technicians to perform corrective repairs on a wide variety of wind turbines. The majority of lifting services are performed using up-tower crane technology, which avoids the high cost and disruption of utilizing large conventional cranes on the ground.
We invite you to join LiftWerx, where we are focused on raising the bar.
Design Engineer (full-time)
This position is based out of our Cambridge, Ontario office. The successful candidate(s) will travel occasionally to worksites across the USA and Canada.
POSITION OVERVIEW AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Design Engineer position is an office-based role, creating or modifying equipment designs to assist LiftWerx in completing large corrective repairs on wind turbines. Successful candidates will design, analyse, and produce fabrication drawings for structural steel components. These designs are used in wind turbines (up-tower), or on the ground (down-tower) to support LiftWerx equipment and wind-turbine components during wind-turbine maintenance/repair.
Components will be analyzed using a combination of hand calculations and finite element analysis, and designs will be validated against relevant structural steel or crane design codes. Familiarity with solid mechanics, stress analysis, and steel design will be a large part of this role.
The Design Engineer will also complete documentation and other administrative duties to support the engineering department, as needed. Occasional travel to worksites (including climbing of wind turbines) will be necessary.
This is a fantastic opportunity to make a significant engineering contribution to a growing, dynamic, company! If it interests you to design new lifting equipment that will be used in a challenging environment, with significant geometry and weight constraints, we want to hear from you!
This position reports to the Engineering Manager.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
Minimum B.Sc. in Mechanical or Civil Engineering (Mechanical Discipline is Preferred)
- Must hold, or be eligible for, a valid P.Eng. in Ontario.
- 2-5 years of experience in stress analysis through hand calculations and finite element analysis (FEA). Specific experience with FEMAP/NXNastran and/or SolidWorks Simulation would be an asset.
- 2-5 years of experience with SolidWorks (creating models and fabrication drawings).
- 2-5 years of experience in working with structural steel codes (Eurocode EN1993 series, Eurocode EN13001 series, AISC/ANSI 360 and/or CSA S16).
- 1-3 years of experience in sizing and design of welds (steel) in accordance with CSA W59, AWS D1.1 or equivalent would be an asset.
- 1-3 years of experience with ASME BTH-1 (Below the Hook) lifting device design would be an asset.
- Experience with hydraulic design and diagrams would be an asset.
- Experience with PLC programming and electrical diagrams would be an asset.
- Strong communication skills and ability to document calculations is required.
- Must be able to work both individually and in an established team setting.
- Ability to travel across North America (USA and Canada) is required.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and you could be the next addition to our growing team!